Ecology and Environment, Inc. is seeking a Chemist to join our Superfund Technical Assessment and Response Team (START) program in our Seattle office. This position will work primarily with the USEPA to support and manage a broad range of hazardous substance emergency responses, site investigations, and homeland protection-oriented activities to help protect human health and the environment. Our successful candidate will have the related chemistry experience required to support an interdisciplinary environmental emergency response team comprised of chemists, engineers, environmental scientists, and data/GIS specialists.
- Work on a team tasked with environmental emergency response & readiness
- Support a field analytical program with instrument operation, method development, calibration and maintenance
- Analyze and interpret analytical data and perform laboratory data review and validation
- Conduct multimedia sampling and operate and interpret data from environmental sampling/monitoring equipment in the field
- Plan, conduct, manage, and report on field assessments for oil and hazardous substances releases
- Develop field operating procedures and technical documentation related to oil spills, hazardous substance releases, biological agents, chemical warfare agents, radiation, and/or weapons of mass destruction
- Emergency on-call duties, occasional travel, and outdoor field work at hazardous waste sites primarily in USEPA Region 10 (Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska)
- Project and budget management and client interaction
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Chemistry
- 1 – 5 years of experience including experience maintaining and calibrating field and/or laboratory instrumentation, such as GC & GC/MS
- Current OSHA 40-HR HAZWOPER certification desirable but not required
- Experience with EPA analytical methods, best laboratory practices, and QA/QC procedures
- Experience writing technical documents such as Standard Operating Guidance and Procedures
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, be highly adaptable, flexible, and amenable to working in non-standard environments
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, analytical, and technical writing skills
- Ability to conduct fieldwork throughout the U.S. and carry up to 50 lbs. of field gear in challenging conditions including extreme weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license and ability to work on-call and mobilize into the field with little or no notice
We are a global network of innovators and problem solvers, dedicated professionals and industry leaders in scientific, engineering, and planning disciplines working together with our clients to develop technically sound, science-based solutions to the leading environmental challenges of our time. E & E offers opportunities for growth in a team-oriented environment. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.; Visa sponsorship will not be provided. Please view our website at www.ene.com to apply on-line. Local candidates preferred.
Ecology and Environment, Inc. is an EO and AA employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled/and other protected categories.